Monday, June 29, 2015

Richmond,VA

Merry meet Friends,
Michelle here, bringing lots of love and light!

"If I had to live my life over again, I would ask that not a thing be changed, but that my eyes be opened wider."....Jules Renard

"We truly need little to feel abundant.  When we pay attention, a single breath can fill us to overflowing.  The touch of a loved one or a moment of sunlight can bring delight to our hearts.  The simple gesture of someone's hand resting on our own, a single word of kindness, or a small gift of appreciation can be all we need to feel a tremendous sense of care and well-being.  We need so little to feel loved; all we need to do is begin to notice the multitude of tiny gifts and small miracles that punctuates each day we are alive." ....Wayne Muller, Legacy of the Heart

It's been awhile friends.  So much has been happening, not only with me but with everyone.  When I last posted, it was about my trip to New York for my youngest son Jason's 30th birthday. Before the NY trip, I had been in a Direct Care class for the job.  It was a prerequisite for the Medication Tech class.  I had a medication class in 2012 which was a 32 hour course but hadn't used it since then.  This job requires a 68 hour course in order to be licensed by the state.  The medication class started the day after Memorial Day. The class was every Monday and Wednesday from 8:30am-4:30pm for 6 weeks.  We had a homework assignment after each class and a test each morning.  I never worried about the tests, I always passed.  The last week before the final test we had to do clinicals at an Assisted Living Facility.  We passed medication and gave insulin shots.  The final was on June 22nd and I passed with more than the 80%.  Whew!  Now I have to take the state board test.

The first weekend in June was my friend Octavia Callahan's birthday.  Octavia's sister Laurie planned a very special birthday for her in Greensboro, NC.  On Friday we went to the downtown art walk similar to the one here in Richmond.  Most places had Hors d'Oeuvres and wine/beer.  We found an antique shop which had beautiful dresses. Octavia purchased two.  They also had very odd sunglasses and I purchased two pair.  Laurie purchased a pair as well.  On Saturday, there was a wine tasting event at four wineries. We arrived at each one via a party bus.  The bus had music and a pole in the back. Some of us took turns swinging on the pole.  Yes, I was one.  It was a lot of fun.  After having lunch at the last winery, we went back to Laurie's house to shower and change for a comedy show.  The show featured George Lopez, Charlie Murphy, Eddie Griffith, DL Hughley, Cedric the Entertainer and Mike Epps. It was hilarious! We returned to Virginia on Sunday.

Before going to NC, I discovered what felt like a lump in my right breast.  This is the same breast that had the lumpectomy. Because of the cancer history, I am scheduled to have mammograms every 6 months.  In December I have both breasts done and in June I have only the right one.  Because I had just had one in December and it was fine, I felt that if this was indeed a lump, it would be aggressive.  I was a little anxious to say the least.  On June 19th at 1pm, I had the mammogram and because of what I previously felt, an ultrasound was ordered.  At first the tech didn't see anything but then she thought she did.  She wanted the doctor to come in to see. It was 3:15pm  My sister was with me and needed to be downtown before 4pm.  I put on my clothes and told the front desk that I needed to leave.  The tech called and asked me to come in on the following Tuesday.  When I went in, the doctor checked me with another ultrasound and said that there was nothing.  All praises to God/Goddess/All That Is!  I do have very dense tissue and will still need to be monitored until 2018.  I am very grateful to all who prayed with and for me.  

There are some changes happening on the job and we believe it's for the better.  There is definitely a pay increase with the merger and that's always good, right?  I do hope that I can continue to work as I choose, with as little or as many hours as I wish.  Some people will be made full time.  I'm not sure if that's what I want or not. Benefits would be involved and I need them but then I would lose the ability to work as I wish.  I suppose I have to weigh all options. This job is not demanding at all.  I seriously don't mind going to work and that's a great thing.  I hope I continue to feel this way.  I don't have any hours this week because sometimes the hours we can work are not available.  So I signed up to work on last night (Sunday) and I never work on Sundays.  In fact, one of the clients said to me, "What are you doing here?  You never work on Sundays."  They know our schedule better than we do  LOL

Since I'm off this week, I may try to go to NY.  I have several Haitian Facebook friends whom I have not met.  One, Thamara, has invited me to come have a picnic meal with her in Brooklyn.  She and several of my Haitian sister-friends love to cook and their pictures are art.  I've already experienced Gina's cooking.  The black rice with shrimp...OMG!  When I told Jason that I might come to NY for a few days this week, he asked why. Why?, because I want to come.  I don't need to stay with him if he has plans  When our children become adults, they most certainly have their own lives, don't they?  I am glad that they do because I have mine as well.  I read somewhere that we are always preparing to become the persons we wish to be.  Sometimes, as we begin to change certain things about ourselves and don't know why, I believe that (the preparation) is the reason.  I see myself as this Gypsy Bohemian woman so as my tastes change, I see myself becoming this person. Basically I've been this person always because we become who we are.  I can't wait to grow my own food and have a couple of chickens for eggs; maybe even a goat to eat the grass.  LOL   I see myself with a long grey/silver plait down my back.  My oldest daughter asked me the other day, if I ever considered locs because she had a vision of me with it.  Only for the last 10 years was my answer.  Who knows?

I am relearning to appreciate even what we consider the small things in life.  Nothing is small; every gesture, every act means something.  I am who I am because of all I've been through.  It has made me, "me".   Yes, I still have more to learn, even about myself, but I like who I am and who I am becoming.  I wish the same for us all.  Love and acceptance is the answer for what ails the world.  

Until next Sunday,
Merry part and merry meet again,
Blessed be,
Gypsi Mama MIchelle




No comments:

Post a Comment