Monday, October 27, 2014

Richmond, VA


Merry meet friends!

Michelle here, bringing lots of love and light…

This month, October, is Breast Cancer Awareness and Domestic Violence Awareness Month.  I am a survivor of both.  Both can and have killed women; the DV almost killed me, because at times I wanted to kill myself.  I’m glad I, and it didn’t.  In honor of this, and because Spirit said so, I am only posting one of my poems this week.   Perhaps it will speak to and help one woman somewhere.

A Woman’s Place

Feeling, hurting, grieving, crying

Living, loving, giving, dying

Teasing, fighting, pushing, shoving

Smiling, laughing, kissing, hugging

Sweeping, scrubbing, washing, mending

Standing, stooping, pulling, bending

Cooking, slicing, dicing, peeling

Praying, fasting, waiting, healing

Bumps and bruises

Cuts and scrapes

Feeling like she’s being raped;

Plundered, looted

Torn apart

Limb by limb

And then the heart.

Nurse, friend, wife, mother

Teacher, counselor, sister, lover

All things to everyone

Use all of her

And then some;

A woman’s place is hard to find

For it begins inside her mind

Hidden passions, plans and purposes

Pushed aside but trying to surface

Through the mirrors of her soul

To make her free, complete and whole.

Buried deeply in her being

Much too painful to start seeing

She beholds another image

Full of wrinkles, spot and blemishes

She doesn’t seem to realize

She’s been transformed in God’s eyes.

That marred image God has broken

God has cleansed, healed and spoken.

Now she can hear the Spirit’s call

To submit to purpose-and standing tall

Using spiritual strategies

Influence those she wants to please

The scepter beckons her to come

Into the presence of the throne

Giving her the kingdom is God’s pleasure

For to God she is a treasure

Union brings her face to face

In the heart of God

She’s found her place.

 
Michelle LaForest-Roberts
© 11/16/1997

Until next Sunday,
Merry part and merry meet again,
Blessed be,
Gypsi Mama Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Mickie,

    Though written in the 20th century, I am always impressed by how relevant and apropos your poems are now, in the 21st century.

    You really are a gifted poetess and should earnestly publish your work; such talent needs to be shared with all.

    I love you dearly and I am so glad God placed you in my life and in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debbie. I'm glad that you have been placed in mine, my dear cousin and "baby". 'smile"

    ReplyDelete