Monday, February 9, 2015

Washington DC/New York

Merry meet Friends!
Michelle here, bringing lots of love and light!

"I'm unpredictable, I never know where I'm going until I get there, I'm so random, I'm always growing, learning, changing, I'm never the same person twice.  But one thing you can be sure of about me; is I will always do exactly what I want to do." ~ C. JoyBell C.

"Faith means living with uncertainty - feeling your way through life, letting your heart guide you like a lantern in the dark." ~ Dan Millman

I went back to DC for three days and then I left for NY on Saturday.  Although I traveled by Greyhound, I did not have any unusual happenings on the buses.  However I did have something to occur before I got on the bus to NY from DC.  When I left DC for VA, I didn't take my suitcase, I just carried a duffel bag because I knew I would be bringing a suitcase back.  Having no idea where I'm headed after NY, I had to be prepared for any weather and so I packed accordingly.  I transferred things from the suitcase in DC to the larger one and still had to leave some items at my daughter's house. 

My bus to NY was scheduled to leave at 2:10pm.  When the attendant weighed my bag it was over by 14lbs.  The weight limit is 50.  The clerk told me that I had time to do whatever needed to be done because the bus wasn't there.  It was 2pm.  I also found out that particular bus wasn't an express and I would have to change in Baltimore.  I caught my daughter before she left because I didn't know if I needed to leave more items.  We shifted some things into my book bag and I carried some others.  The only thing I put back into the car was a pair of booties.  My daughter went with me into the station area just in case I was still over the limit.  I was over by 5lbs but the manager said it was fine.  The clerk put the label on my bag and I went out to the bus.  BUS WAS GONE!  I went back inside very frustrated, to say the least!  The manager told the clerk to put me on the 4pm express because the 3pm was also local and would arrive later than the 4pm.  It cost more for express but I wasn't charged because it was their fault.  By the way, it would have cost $30 for the weight overage.  No thank you!

I told my daughter that I would just wait.  I didn't want to go back to the apartment and come back again.  I sent her to the car, however, to get my booties.  I also put the things back into my suitcase.  It was easier for me to carry that way.  The bus was a Peter Pan Bus.  I had a seat alone and we arrived 30 minutes ahead of schedule.  The reason that I was concerned about getting to NY later is because I was attending a Meet, Mingle and Wine at a new friend's apartment in Harlem.  The event started at 8pm and she was giving a speech.  I had to go to my son's apartment and get the key, change and put on makeup, etc.  I felt I would arrive too late.  I called Gina and she said it was fine.  Finally, I left for her place.  My son moved and so I was not as familiar with this area.  The subway was up the street and her stop was only two stops away.  I walked about 6 blocks from the train to her place.  By the time I climbed the 5 fights of stairs, it was 10pm. 

Gina Desire is a new Haitian friend that I met on FB, along with several others.  This was an event for us to meet and get acquainted.  Everyone is Haitian or Haitian American like me.  Her home is warm and inviting.  Gina prepared dishes in the Haitian way.  She even made considerations for those of us who don't eat red meat or pork.  Gina prepared goat, chicken, fish, Haitian mac and cheese, salad and a black rice and shrimp dish.  OH MY GAWD!  My favorite was the rice and shrimp dish.  An assortment of desserts and wine rounded it out.  I did not drink any wine.  I was concerned about walking back to the train alone at a much later time in an area that I know somewhat, but is not completely familiar.  The conversation was lively.  Everyone was very accepting and welcoming.  I knew they would all be younger than I, but that didn't matter.  Once they found out that I had not been to Haiti but that I have relatives there, they encouraged me to go. 

We spoke about the way Haitians are depicted in the media.  We all know the media is slanted so that we see what they want us to see.  Haiti is beautiful and when one steps onto the island, one feels the  connection with the land.  I was told that now when you book flights from NY to Haiti, (post earthquake), the plane is full of Europeans.  Europeans are buying some of the islands and turning them into resorts.  I wish Haitians and Haitian Americans would collectively buy property there as well.  Flights at this time aren't expensive and so I will definitely look into going.  Gina told  me that in the Haitian culture when guests are invited to one's home and don't offer to help with anything, they are talked about and not invited back.  As I left, I remembered this and came back into the hall and shouted, "Gina, do you need any help?, I want to come back!"  They all laughed.  My son met me downstairs and we took a taxi back to his place.  I would have loved to stay longer but once he arrived I thought it better to not walk alone.  I do plan to see Gina again before I leave.

I have no idea where I'm headed after NY, I'm leaving that to Spirit.  Spirit ordained DC and NY due to some unfortunate incidents in VA.  But I like the unpredictable way of being and living by faith.  I wish I had the money to go along with this lifestyle.  Perhaps with faith an abundance of money is not needed; maybe all that's needed is faith that what one needs, one will have when needed.  I also like Spring weather and NY has freezing rain now and snow later today.  But this is the Gypsy life, we go with the flow.  While here, in addition to seeing my friends from Seminary and family, I will put my son's apartment in order.  He's been so busy with work and church, he hasn't had time.  So since I love to decorate, I will.  Spirit knew what needed to be done.

When I visit people in their homes I sometimes feel the pull to settle and get a place because as stated, I do like to decorate.  The thing is that I haven't found anywhere that feels like home yet.  Well, I guess it's because I have yet to travel many places.  As long as I am able to travel I will do so, knowing home is where my heart is.  So many people say to me they wish they could chuck everything and just be free.  I didn't choose this though, it chose me.  But, like Rosa Parks said, "I would like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free...so other people would be also free."  I am about this life!  Happy Black History Month!

Until next Sunday,
Merry part and merry meet again,
Blessed be,
Gypsi Mama Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment