Sunday, March 20, 2016

New York, NY/ Richmond, VA

Merry meet Friends!
Michelle here, bringing lots of love and light!

"There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't sit still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin, 
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and rove the flood,
And they climb the mountain's crest; 
Their's is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest." ~ Robert W. Service

"To belong nowhere is a blessing and a curse, like any kind of freedom." Leah Stewart, The Myth of You and Me

"The Wanderlust has got me...by the belly-aching fire" ~ Robert W. Service, Rhymes of  a Rolling Stone

"Nostalgia in reverse, the longing for yet another strange land, grew especially strong in spring" ~ Vladimir Nabokov, Mary


HAPPY SPRING EQUINOX!  This is the first day of Spring 2016 for the Northern Hemisphere.  The day and the night are equally as long.  Flowers will begin to bloom and the weather will become increasingly warmer, even if we do see snow flakes before March makes its exit.  Today is also Psalm Sunday and many will sport psalms on their coats.

Last Sunday morning, while still in NY, I met my friend, Rev. Sonya Brown.  Sonya is a graduate of One Spirit Interfaith Seminary, as am I.  We met at the Unity Church on West 58th Street.  Normally when I am in NY on a Sunday, I attend The Church of Christ of Harlem with my son Jason.  I know how to get around in NY.  I'm not always sure which subway to take to reach my destination but once I know, I'm fine.  Jason always tells me to "keep your phone on, Mom and text when you get there".  The children indeed become the parents.  But as my oldest daughter Zakiya said, "You should have raised crappy children if you don't want us concerned."  I am grateful for them.  LOL

I always enjoy Unity services at any location; this was no exception. The minister is a young man and full of life.  His message was about love and recognizing the fears that can keep us from loving.  At one point he referenced Guru Satchidananda of Yogaville.  I have visited Yogaville on more than one occasion.  I received Mantra Initiation there in the 90's and received the name "Nitya (one devoted to truth or the eternal) from Satchidananda.  The pastor and I spoke briefly after service.  I asked if he had ever visited Yogaville.  Not only had he visited, he had participated in some of the building.  His mom lived there for awhile.  His family is originally from Norfolk and moved to Richmond later.  I enjoyed sharing with him and will visit again when I return to NY.

Sonya and I walked over to the shops in Columbus Circle and had lunch at Whole Foods.  I absolutely love Columbus Circle!  I love the energy of the area.  Sonya and I sat and talked about doing some workshops together in the very near future.  I eagerly await that! After lunch we took the train back uptown to 116th Street.  We walked to the African Harlem Outdoor Market.  I try to visit there each time I'm in NY.  Neither Sonya or myself saw any earrings of note.  We did see some colorful scarfs for $5, which can be worn as head wraps.  Sonya and I parted ways at the corner she needed for her train and I continued on to the train I needed.  A man walked up behind me and said he liked my outfit.  I thanked him and we talked until he reached his destination.  He gave me his card and asked me to call.  The card has his picture on it and his eyes are very intense in that picture...almost a little scary.

When I returned to Jason's apartment, his friend was there as well. I sat down to eat the remainder of my food as they tried to decide where to eat.  Jason said that in his head (a trait inherited from his dad), he had planned to take us to the Haitian restaurant Grandchamps, in Brooklyn. I told him that he should have said something earlier but I would ride and get take out for later.  I ordered the Turkey Tasso plate; bone on turkey with Djon Djon (Haitian Black Rice), plantains and vegetables.  I had Pain Patate (sweet potato bread pudding) for dessert.  The meal, which I had later, was good but I must say that the Djon Djon I had at Gina Desire's house was tastier.  I decided to watch a little "Poirot" on Netflix and went to bed.

Jason booked my return to Richmond, Monday on the 2pm train.  I so enjoy the train and with the exception of one stop had the seats to myself.  The ride was uneventful but comfy.  I was picked up at the station and taken to my car at the bus parking lot.  I retired early as I had to work the next day.  On Thursday, my friend Celeste and I went on a day trip to Maryland Live.  We left at 7am and returned by 7pm.  It was a beautiful day. I enjoy watching people play and hearing the slot machines.  We had lunch in the mall at Chili's. These trips will usually give a better portion of the ticket money back.  One can use it to play or cash it in.  It makes it worthwhile.

Friday was a day of rest.  I worked on Saturday and will work today.  I will be off this weekend.  Hopefully I will return to NY this week and spend Easter with Jason at his church.  The traveling bug has bitten and I am not satisfied with remaining in one place for too long.  Spring...it causes one to dream of distant places and new adventures.  My heart and spirit hear the call and I will answer.

Until next Sunday,
Merry part and merry meet again,
Blessed be,
Gypsi Mama Michelle  


No comments:

Post a Comment