Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Richmond, VA

Merry meet Friends!
Michelle here, bringing lots of love and light!

"If you have never been called a defiant, incorrigible, impossible woman....have faith...there is yet time."  ~ Clarissa Pinkola Estes

"A vibrant and independent woman is much more beautiful than a woman who waits for people to validate her existence." ~ Kelly McNelis Senegor

"Women are made to be loved, not understood." ~ Oscar Wilde

"Women are like tricks by sleight of hand, which to admire, we should not understand." ~ William Congreve


I am fascinated by the mind and how it works.  I believe this is one of the reasons I like mysteries.  I like solving them.  As a child I read Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys, then my Aunt Pat started my sister and me on Agatha Christie mysteries; Hercule Poirot and Miss Jane Marple.  As I aged I read other authors and watched mysteries on film and television.  Recently I've been watching murder mysteries on Netflix: Midsomer Murders, Agatha Christie's Poirot, and Ms. Fisher's Murder Mysteries.  Midsomer Murders began in the 90's and runs through the present; Poirot is set in the 30's and Ms. Fisher is set in the late 20's. and revolves around the personal and professional life of Phryne Fisher.

I usually know "who done it".  I'm not sure if the reason I know with Poirot is because I've read most if not all of Christie's books and it's in my conscious, even though it's been years.  At any rate I do have excellent deductive skills, if I do say so myself.  I started watching Ms. Fisher because it's a mystery but was soon fixated on the fashion and her personality.  Ms. Fisher is considered a "modern" woman of the 20's.  She is independently wealthy, a lady detective with a pearl handled gun worn in her garter, and has a mind of her own.  Phryne is one of the first feminists, even having birth control pills. She chooses not to get married which was the goal for most women of that time.  She is aware of her sexuality and has many lovers yet she maintains her style and class.

Phryne is intelligent, adventurous (she can drive an airplane), and a champion for the people.  I am sure she is considered incorrigible. Incorrigible means (of a person or their tendencies) not able to be corrected, improved, or reformed.  I admire women who know themselves and are not afraid to be themselves.  I believe there were many Phryne Fisher's of that time.  I wonder if I had lived during that time if I would have been one?  I think I may have been but I am also thinking with the mindset of today.  In the same way that people with the mind of today, will say had they lived during slavery, they would have fought back or said this or that.  

As I looked back over the decades of my life: the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's,90's 00's and 10's and recalled some of my escapades, I do indeed feel as if I would have been the "woman incorrigible".  I would change the definition from "not able to be corrected, improved, or reformed to choosing not to be corrected, improved, or reformed".  There is always room for improvement, reformation and correction, if needed, and I am in favor of such.  I think we are not to take the definition so literally.  No, incorrigible to me, means living in an authentic way; being true to one's self, and living and speaking one's truth.  

Women defined in this way are usually not understood, even by other women, which saddens me.  I find that the majority of women who come to this state of incorrigible mind, do so in their later years. It's as if they say, "Enough is enough!, I will be who I am!". Nothing is more beautiful than a woman knowing herself and standing in all that she is.  This is definitely my goal.  I've always spoken my mind but there have been times when I haven't always spoken my truth.  I don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings but going against the grain of my being to please others is not an option for me any longer.  I will live and speak my truth in love and I wish others to do the same. I believe we know we have reached that stage when we say the things to our children that we don't sugarcoat.

I want everyone to be empowered to live the fullest life imagined but my calling is to women.  Sometimes we have to walk in something before we can help others to overcome.  As a survivor of rape, domestic violence and breast cancer which did not but could have killed me, I am an overcomer.  I did not survive any of those things for myself only.  I have an obligation to help other women to survive as well.  As an elder in my crone years, I feel as if I have some wisdom.  The Bible, one of many wisdom books, says that the older women are to teach the younger.  We are teaching ourselves as well, for as the saying goes: "We teach what we most need to learn."  I will continue this journey of coming home to myself  and I wish for others the same.

Until next Sunday,
Merry part and merry meet again,
Blessed be!,
Gypsi Mama Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment