Sunday, March 22, 2015

Richmond, VA

Merry meet Friends,
Michelle here, bringing lots of love and light!

"Age is no barrier.  It's a limitation you put on your mind"......Jackie Joyner-Kersee

I've been thinking about age and the aging process.  When we are younger we are told, "Wait until we're older" or "We are too young to understand".  As we age we are told, "You're too old for that.", or "You're too old to understand" or my personal favorite, "Act your age."   Is our age ever, "just right"?  Why do we or society place limitations on age?  I understand that sometimes it is a necessity for the very young.  Their minds and emotions may not be mature enough to handle all situations.  In the same way, the very elderly population may need restrictions on certain activities, ie: driving.  But, the young understand more than we think they do and the elderly still crave adventure.

I know that it is mainly the younger generation who chucks it all to live a nomadic lifestyle.  I also know that after a point they settle into a responsible lifestyle.  Older people who decide to chuck their responsible lifestyle and live as nomads are sometimes referred to as vagabonds, hobos or irresponsible; even if they have shown responsibility by raising children, managing corporations, etc.
Younger people are sowing their oats, so it's fine.  I think the desires we have/had as adolescents are still in our psyches.  If one was an adventurous child, one may still be adventurous as an adult. Sometimes, the courage to do certain things may come late in life even though the desire may have always been there.  

I'm thinking about this because I'm torn between taking a job that is not in my heart and choosing to be me.  I don't know about anyone else, I only know about me and it has taken time for me to recognize and accept who I am.  I am a wild, free spirited woman. My age has not censored that about me.  I am who I am and I love it!  I know that the nomadic lifestyle is not for everyone.  Some people need stability and it does take money to live.  The amount of money it takes varies however with our needs.  My oldest daughter, Zakiya, sent me a video of small houses. These houses are on wheels and have all the accommodations and necessities that's needed.  The homes are built by the individual and is perfect for a traveling gypsy!  They are far less expensive than campers.  

I don't need much space.  As long as there are kitchen appliances, a bathroom and a place for sleeping, I'm fine.  I am learning to live with less and that I don't need as much space as I thought.  Most people only live in one room of their homes, anyway.  Bedrooms have become the living area for some, with television, small refrigerators and even microwaves.  Humans are resourceful and can manage anything when needed.  I'd like the small house because I wouldn't be limited to one location or to finding somewhere to live.  Like a turtle, my house would travel with me. The freedom to go from place to place without the concern for accommodations is what I desire.  

Since humans can manage anything when needed and I'm a human, I can manage this job for a period of time.  I've been asked to train this week from Tuesday through Friday with evening and overnight hours.  I expressed my concerns to HR about the bus and bus stops at certain hours in that area.  I told her that I would do this week but I'm not sure of anything else at this point.  I suppose that I need to see how it is before I make a final decision.  This week will show me what the job entails.  I will know what to do when I know.  

Depending on my decision, this may be my last post or the last for awhile.  I started this blog in April, 2014.  It has consisted of my inner and outer journeys.  We are always having inner journeys and I always have something to say so we'll see.   If this is my last one, I would like to thank all who have traveled with me as I've explored and discovered parts of me.  I would hope it has led to some discoveries for you as well.  Maybe I will make next Sunday the last one.  That way I can write about the job.

Until next Sunday (maybe),
Merry part and merry meet again,
Blessed be,
Gypsi Mama Michelle

1 comment:

  1. I watch a television program that comes on the FYI channel called 'Tiny House Nation' that follows individuals and families who have decided to get rid of most of their possessions, as well as huge mortgages and houses for a simpler, less encumbered lifestyle. I am fascinated by the whole concept as I am one of those bedroom people who has a microwave, small fridge, television and, of course, my lifeline to the outside world, my phone, in my bedroom. As such I could live out the rest of my life in a tiny house.

    Age - why do we even have to deal with it? I can’t wait until May 1st - my 60th birthday. But, as a fashionista, 60 means I can’t wear certain styles. I seek solace in reminding myself that I’ve had my day with daisy dukes, mini skirts (Aunt Martha Brown use to call my skirts belts because they were so short) and the like. Yet the desire is there. Clothes aside I see no other reason why we shouldn’t be able to do ‘us’ without ridicule or sideway looks. We’ve earned the right not to give a damn what other people think because people are always going to have an opinion but they are just that - THEIR opinions - so who cares.

    I have enjoyed your blog for the past year. They have been informative, enlightening and thought provoking. While I will miss them, all things must come to an end.

    Auf Wiedersehen!

    ReplyDelete